Scream VI (Film Review)

 

 

image taken from the official Scream instagram


WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD


When I heard this film wasn’t going to be set in Woodsboro I wasn’t sure how I felt about it, but it definitely worked just as Scream 2 did. The backdrop to our latest Ghostface murder spree is now New York City. Tara, Chad and Mindy have moved to the city for a fresh start and to start their college life. Sam has also followed on in an attempt to make sure her younger sister stays safe and well doesn’t get murdered.


Scream is famous for their opening scenes being kill scenes and as soon as I saw Samara Weaving on screen I knew it wasn’t good news for her character. I wish we would’ve had her in the whole film but unfortunately we didn’t. She was amazing though, I’m a big fan of hers so i’ll accept any crumbs we get from her lol.



Following that we then get into the main story, Ghostface hunting down our core four and Miss Gale Weathers. We are introduced to some newbies Danny (Tara and Sam’s neighbour), Ethan (a new addition to the group, Chad’s friend), Quinn (Tara & Sam’s new roommate), Anika (Mindy’s girlfriend). I genuinely liked all these new characters, except for Detective Bailey who I couldn’t make my mind up on from the start. 


As well as new characters we also welcomed back Miss Kirby Reed who was a fan favourite from Scream 4 and who everybody was begging the creators to bring back when Scream 5 was announced. I was so happy to see her back on our screens and I was gl ad that Hayden Panettiere agreed to come back and from what i’ve seen in interviews she jumped at the chance to come back.


Obviously bringing Miss Gale Weathers back was a must, we heard that Sidney wasn’t going to be in this instalment as Neve Campbell wasn’t coming back not long after it was announced they were making six and of course we lost Dewey in five so having one of the originals still here was a good decision from the creators. Although having only Gale around from the previous films filled me with nerves that she’d finally fall victim to Ghostface.. which without spoiling it too much, she does in a way but not the way I thought. 



One of my absolute favourite scenes in the whole film is a subway scene involving Mindy, I literally had anxiety butterflies throughout my stomach the whole scene and don’t think I took a breath the whole time. If you haven’t seen it yet, once you do see it you’ll completely understand where I am coming from. 


We know that there has been a shrine built to the previous ghostface killers including weapons, masks, images depicting the murders and some of the victims clothes, I wasn’t sure how this was going to be brought into the film but when realisation hit I was like wow okay then. The reveal of who was behind the mask was also something I wasn’t expecting but I think it tied in really well with previous instalments. 



The kill scenes are definitely still top tier this time around and (i don’t know if this is wrong to say? Lol) but I really enjoyed them. I genuinely really enjoyed this film and it levelled up from the previous one. In fact I think it was better than five.  


Scream VI gets a five star rating from me.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

instagram // tiktok





Popular posts from this blog

Sending my love

Unlike any other?